The war memorial, placed in a prominent position in the town immediately in front of the castle, depicts a gigantic warrior in bronze in a seated position, seemingly protecting a child at his knee with a drawn sword. The plinth is made from stones gathered from the seashore into which thistles are carved which seem to grow from stone to stone.
It is the work of Edinburgh sculptor George H Paulin who was introduced to the town council by the artist E.A. Hornel, and it was unveiled on 14th April 1921.
There are 88 names for World War 1 by surname, rank, Regiment, forename and decoration, for World War 2 there are 36 names by surname, rank, Regiment, forename. For details see the Roll of Honour on the Roll of Honour website.