Glimpses into the History of an Ancient Parish & Burgh
An Internet Browse Through the History Topography and Genealogy of the Ancient Parish and Burgh of Kirkcudbright
Taken from a selection of contemporary books, magazines, documents, maps, illustrations and ephemera.
The Town of Kirkcudbright is finely situated on the estuary of the River Dee, and is the county town of the County or Stewartry of Kirkcudbright in South-West Scotland. Collectively with the County of Wigtown, the area was historically known as the Kingdom of Galloway, and now forms the western portion of the present-day local authority area Dumfries and Galloway.
Kirkcudbright is first recorded with Royal Burgh status as far back as 1455, but may have had this distinction even earlier. Royal Burgh status gave the town authority to trade with ports outside of Scotland and reflected the security of its position, and importance of its fine sheltered harbour.
The original town was built around the old High Street where many old town-houses still survive. With its castle, harbour and mote, it was protected on all sides by the tidal waters of the River Dee and has prospered over many centuries since.
The website was created to be shared with others, and free access is allowed to everyone - all that is asked is that you do not re-use this material without specific reference back to these pages. Most of the subject material is no longer covered by copyright restrictions, but there is some material specially written for inclusion here. Such material is therefore copyright, and may not be used elsewhere without permission of the copyright holder.